If you could go back in time with the benefit of hindsight, what advice would you give yourself? I’ve been thinking about that this week, and I reckon this is how my advice would go, leaping five years at a time.
Advice to my 3-year-old self:
- Stop picking your nose. It’s gross.
Advice to my 8-year-old self:
- Even if you do know the answer, you don’t have to put your hand up for every question Miss Shaughnessy asks. It’s so not the way to get in with the cool kids. Take up smoking instead or something. *joke*
Advice to my 13-year-old self:
- You are so much smarter and better looking than every single one of those bullies. Seriously. And that’s not ’cause you’re super pretty or intelligent, it’s more to do with the face that they are exceedingly ugly and stupid. *consults old yearbook to confirm this* They have got absolutely nothing on you. Don’t take any shit from them.
Advice to my 18-year-old self:
- Do a proper degree! I know, I know – you’re having the time of your life in UL with your twelve hours a week and hardly any exams. It is awfully fun to sit in Java’s all day drinking tea, setting the world to rights and yes, smoking joints is a delightful way to pass an otherwise dull afternoon BUT here’s a headsup: there’s a massive recession on the horizon. No, really, I mean it, masssssssive. You’re going to be wanting money to buy yourself nice things [like food, alcohol and an iphone] and go nice places. New Media and English simply is not the way to go for that.
- Think about your friendships and what they are based on. Is it mostly just the toke of the aforementioned joint you share? Or are they enduring friendships that will last when you move half way around the world after graduating from your useless BA? Friends are the family you choose yourself, as the cliché goes. Choose good people who respect your intelligence, make you laugh and will bring you to Accident and Emergency when you have a bad fall on a night out some time in 2010.
Following on from this little thought experiment, I’ve been wondering what advice 28 or 33 year old Katie might give me if she was sitting on the end of the bed here. I think she’d tell me to stop worrying about my weight ’cause I’m healthy and I look fine. I’m not sure if she’d tell me to save the money I have at the moment for a rainy day or go blow it since I’m young and devoid of any real responsibility. Must consult the magic8 ball on that one.
Naturally if the 2016 model of Katie was sitting on the end of the bed giving me advice, I wouldn’t listen to her anyway. Advice is something we’re all much better at giving than receiving. Nonetheless it’s fun to look back and see how far you’ve come. So – what do you all think? What advice would you give yourself if you could go back in time. Looking forward to some good comments for this one!