The great debate.
My gut instinct is telling me it’s time to leave UAE. I’ve been here since 2009. I believe I have taken all I can from the experience. I have made friends that I never want to lose, and gained experience that I’ll benefit from forever and a day. I have travelled to Arab and Asian countries I barely even knew existed and had a ball. And, I have savings. Not a fortune, but enough to start a new life back home.
In my head, there are many reasons why I should stay:
- I’m making good money – for the first time in my life I’m self-sufficient, I can decide to go away on holiday, get my nails done, buy clothes or drink myself into oblivion without worrying if I can afford it
- The economic situation at home is really bad, I’m probably going to end up on social welfare wishing I was back in Abu Dhabi
- This picture was taken last week here at the beach.Would it be foolish of me to give this up in favour of December in Ireland?
I’m probably giving up whatever chance I have of a reference by leaving my contract early. And I don’t have one from my other job here because I recently emailed my boss there to tell him what a bully and general all-round asshole he is. Oops.
Ah, but my heart!
- My heart is telling me I’m wasting my time developing skills and a reputation in a field I have pretty much no interest whatsoever in pursuing
- I want to be a writer. I love writing. I get such a giddy high when I notice lots of people looked at this blog and/or commented on a given day. Especially if the comments are not from people I know in real life! I get an even giddier buzz from seeing my name in print.Now is possibly the worst time in history to try and pursue a career in media, yet two of my peers who dedicated themselves to it instead of fluting around in the Middle East have gotten amazing jobs in the last year. It is possible, but it requires hard work and dedication. I may only be 23 but I’m not getting any younger, if this is something I’m serious about, I need to get moving on it now.
- I miss Ireland. I read the news every day. I know how depressing it is at the moment. But it’s my home. And I have been gone for a long time. I have missed weddings, funerals and historic occasions that should have shaped the last few years for me. I have lost contact with friends that were very important to me
- Slightly connected to the above, I feel like I’m losing my sense of self. I know that sounds a bit wishy-washy, but the environment you live in has an effect on you. It’s dawning on me more and more lately that UAE is an incredibly shallow, fickle society and I catch myself becoming a more shallow, fickle person. That’s just not who I am. What is more, it’s built on the backs of exploited labourers from all over India and Asia. My social conscience puts me in terrible spot a lot of the time between liking stuff that’s cheap and convenient and understanding that it is so because they guy serving me does a 17 hour day for peanuts.
In a nutshell – the only reason to stay is the financial benefits. But that will be the case in six months, in a year and in five years. The sensible thing to do is stay, I know that. But last week I posted about a tattoo I want to get – Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
Fortune Favours the Bold
Your opinions and advice are most welcome.
I have to make up my mind by December.
21 free PR resources
These tools will help you to create, boost, schedule and measure your next campaign.