Here are the lies I’m currently telling myself about 2012. They may seem just a tad optimistic, but I made them as specific as possible so that the outcomes are measurable. That way when I fail miserably, it will definitive. I also tried to make them varied, so that if I accomplish even a few of them it will improve various aspects of my life – personal, career, health…
Here we go:
- January: Lose 5lbs. I know, I know, what a cliché! But really, I am gonna need to shift some of that Christmas weight. So January’s resolution is to lose 5lbs through diet and exercise.
- February: Take up a new hobby that gets me out of my comfort zone: photography, yoga, salsa dancing, knitting – whatever – as long as it’s completely new and a bit of fun
- March: Develop a professional skill. Identify a weak area and rectify it e.g. shorthand, developing web content
- April: Focus on family – since it is Mam and Dad’s birthday this month I chose it for focusing on family. This month I’ll make a special effort to communicate with my nearest and dearest.
- May: Organise a charity event for Oxfam or the Make A Wish Foundation, a good one. Aim to raise a minimum of E1,000 through an original event.
- June: Read different genres. Try graphic novels, biographies, history.
- July: Blog challenge – 5,000 hits this month.
- August: So many friends have scattered themselves around the world. This month make a special effort to get in touch with friends in Canada, New Zealand, Abu Dhabi and the US.
- September: Organise pictures. Print some of the million pictures you have up on facebook and put them in albums!
- October: Write a short story of 5,000-10,000 words and submit it to competitions and/or for publication.
- November: Network. Online and in person. Make contacts that will be useful later – you don’t know when the “dots will connect”.
- December: Review. If I have achieved half of the above in 2012 it’s time to relax. If not, I can use December to play catch up!